Peters resorts to exploiting Michiganders, adding fear and misinformation during nationwide healthcare pandemic
Amid the worst healthcare crisis in decades, Gary Peters is spreading misinformation to the public. Desperate to salvage his flailing campaign at any cost, Senate Majority PAC put on air this morning a blatantly false ad attacking James on health care.
Contrary to the ad’s claims, John James has never supported eliminating protections of pre-existing conditions, never supported charging an age tax on older Americans, and never supported increasing costs on prescription drugs. In fact, James has said he supports allowing a patient-centered, market-based approach for health care, which would lower premium costs and drug costs.
“I challenge Senator Peters to be a man, stop the deception and run a truthful campaign,” James said. “People deserve a leader who will be truthful and look to resolve a pandemic, not exploit it. I have been in combat and under pressure before. I know how essential it is for Michiganders right now to see leadership that promotes stability, honest communication and transparency, not fear and deception. Something Senator Peters is proving he is incapable of.”
“The fact that Chuck Schumer and Gary Peters are using a health care crisis to manipulate voters and distort John James’ record for personal political benefit is appalling,” said Abby Walls, campaign spokesperson. “The facts show beyond a doubt that John supports a patient-centered approach that protects individuals with preexisting conditions and lowers costs for all. This timing is no coincidence. Senators Peters and Schumer are using a pandemic to deceive and it’s shameful and needs to stop.”
AD TRANSCRIPT AND FACT CHECK:
AD: “John James, our failure to repeal and replace Obamacare is the surest sign that we need someone to go and work their tail off to remove this monstrosity.”
- James supports allowing a patient-centered, market-based approach for health care which would lower premium costs and drug costs. James does not support any of the items listed in this ad and there are no citations for this.
- In the full clip of video that the ad manipulates, James continues, “We need new market-based, fair, and patient-centered solutions that will not infringe upon religious liberties and will make sure that we have the best solutions for everyday people.”
AD: James’ Health Care Plan. Increase the cost of prescription drugs. Charge an age tax on older Americans. Eliminate protections on pre-existing conditions.
- These are uncited claims for a made-up plan. By contrast, John, has said throughout his 2018 campaign (including his October 2018 debate with Senator Stabenow), “We must have a market-based, patient-centered approach that must –that must, Senator– cover pre-existing conditions.” (10/15/18)
- The “citation” offered is for an article on the selfie video of James used in the first seconds of the ad, not for any health care “plan” as the ad implies. James has NEVER supported plans that did not cover people with pre-existing conditions. James has NEVER supported increasing prices on prescription drugs. And NEVER supported charging an age tax to seniors.
- In fact, this article offers James’ full statement, which includes James saying, “We need new market-based, fair, and patient-centered solutions that will not infringe upon religious liberties and will make sure that we have the best solutions for everyday people.”
AD: John James Wrong on Health Care. Wrong for Michigan.
FACT: John James is the right person to represent Michigan regarding health care issues and everything else.